AOS: General philosophy of science
– The unity /plurality of science debate (Reductionism. Natural kinds and scientific classification. Styles of scientific reasoning
– Metaphysics of science
– Models and simulations
– Science, values, democracy (Governance of science, autonomy of science, scientific objectivity and authority, public participation in science)
AOC: History and philosophy of physics. Logic. Astrophysics.
– PhD (with distinction), Philosophy, Columbia University, 2004, under the supervision of Philip Kitcher
– PhD, Astrophysics, Paris Observatory / University of Paris VI, 1996
– M.A., Philosophy, University of Nanterre, 1996
– M.A., Astrophysics, University of Paris VI, 1993
– B.A., Philosophy, University of Toulouse Le Mirail, France, 1994
– Degree in Aeronautical Engineering, ENSICA, Toulouse, France, 1992
Awards / Fellowships
– Young Researcher in the Humanities Forum Award, European Science Foundation, May 2007
– Visiting Research Fellow, Center for Philosophy of Science, University of Pittsburgh, USA (Fall 2006)
– Strober Fellow, Columbia University (Fall 2003)
– Faculty Fellowship, Columbia University (1998-2003)
– CNRS Fellowship for engineers (1993-1996)
– Visiting Associate, Department of Astronomy, University of California-Berkeley, October 1995
Previous academic appointments
– 2000-2003: Teaching Assistant, Department of Philosophy, Columbia University, USA
– 2004-2012: Associate Professor of philosophy of science, Department of philosophy, Université de Provence, France
Memberships of professional organizations
– Member of the Philosophy of Science Association
– Founding member of The Society for Philosophy of Science in Practice
– Founding member of the Société de Philosophie des Sciences
Professional service (selection)
– Member of the steering committee of EPSA (European Philosophy of Science Association)
– National Science Foundation (NSF) : review expert 2011
– European commission : ERC review expert (European Research Council) 2011-2013.
– Referee for Philosophy of Science, The British Journal for The Philosophy of Science,
The Philosophical Quaterly, Science & Education, European Journal for Philosophy of
Science, Synthese, and Perspectives on Science.
– Co-chair of the EPSA 2013 programme committee (Fourth Biennal Meeting of the European Association of Philosophy of Science, Helsinki 2012)
– Member of the EPSA 2011 programme committee (Third Biennal Meeting of the European Association of Philosophy of Science, Athens, 2011)
– Co-chair of the programme committee of the Japanese-French plurisciplinary symposiums “Frontiers of Science” (Japanese Society for the Promotion of Science / CNRS / Foreign Office) 2011-2012
– Member (nominated) of the National committee of the CNRS (2012-2016)
– Member of the CNFHPS (Comité national français d’histoire et de philosophie des sciences)
– President of the Société de philosophie des sciences (SPS) (since 2015).
– Member of the programme committee of the Fourth Biennal Congress of the Société de philosophie des sciences (Montréal, 2012).
– Member of the programme committee of the Third Biennal Congress of the Société de philosophie des sciences (Paris, 2009).
– Member of the programme committee of SOPHA2012 (Société de philosophie analytique).